Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Back at the Scene of the Crime

Finally it seems our family is at the end of this piggy flu thing. It's been a long two months. It sorta just lingers, this thing... you think you are fine then POOF, you feel like crap again and suddenly have another earache or sore throat or are coughing up God Knows What.

So today my daughter talked me into having one of her friends over, even though I knew it was too late in the day and a bad idea as Rick and I spent the day in the kitchen preparing for Thanksgiving. We were tired and grouchy. Any parent knows not to let their children have friends over in that state of mind.

But, I don't always think.

So we called her best friend. Coincidentally, she is the one who I believe gave us the piggy flu in the first place, two long months ago. I can't prove it, although I seriously wish I could.

So she comes in and we hang her coat up and the conversation goes something like this (names are changed to protect the little germ-spreader):

Me: How's everything, Katie?

Katie: Ohhh... okay (she looks down at her chubby little feet and sighs).

Me: Uh-oh, doesn't sound good (me trying to get the latest dirt on her parents).

Katie: I was hoping you'd invite me over here today. I needed to get OUTTA MY HOUSE!!!

Me: Why's that? (Ooooooh, this is gonna be good!!! I continue to frost my cut-out cookies so I don't look so obvious).

Katie: My brother's sick and I am getting tired of taking care of him!!! He's puking and has diarrhea and I had to serve him his lunch in bed today and change his pukey sheets!!! (she moans).

Me: Oh my. (gulp)

Katie - being the perceptive little thing that she is, she says: Oh don't worry, I washed my hands when I was done.

2 comments:

Chief said...

ha! she sounds like a real card!

Tracy Nuskey Dodson said...

I hope you're all feeling better by now. We had the "piggy flu" too and it did take a while to get back to normal.
At least you can't get it again!!